Author Topic: Origin of the Borg - Pomona College??  (Read 3651 times)

Offline michaelwiggins

• President Of The Federation
    • View Profile
Origin of the Borg - Pomona College??
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »
I was on a 5-minute errand listening to NPR (National Public Radio) when I heard something that sent me scrambling to the computer when I got home.

The radio show was originating from Pomona College in California.  It turns out that this college has a few pieces of trivia that are Star Trek related.  They are as follows:

1.  Borg  (source: Pomona Glossary - Pomona College http://www.pomona.edu/about/facts-and-figures/pomona-glossary.aspx)

"You may remember the Borg of TV fame—the swarming, half-cybernetic zombies from reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Well, Pomona, too, has its Borg, and the two may well be related. (See Star Trek, below.) At Pomona, “the Borg” is short for Oldenborg Center for Modern Languages and International Relations—which includes, among other things, a residence hall where students live and work in one of six foreign languages. If you visit Oldenborg, you may be struck by its warrens of maze-like hallways, reminiscent— some say—of those of the TV Borg, but don’t expect to see any zombies unless you visit during finals week."

Keep reading...

2.  Star Trek

"As writer and co-producer of three series of Star Trek sequels (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager), Joe Menosky ’79 made Pomona’s magic number [the number 47] part of pop culture. Over the years, viewers noticed the number in episode after episode. The crew stops at Sub-space Relay Station 47. Data is unconscious for 47 seconds. A character shrinks to 47 centimeters. Even after Menosky left the shows, the 47 tease was continued by other writers and spread to other shows. Menosky has never confirmed or denied the rumor that the villainous Borg was named for his old dorm. (See Borg, above.)"

And as for the number 47:

3.  47

"As the Pomona Student Handbook once put it, “To the uninitiated, 47 is a mystery. To knowledgeable Pomona Sagehens, 47 is dogma. To sociologists, 47 is a prime example of a minor piece of whimsy that somehow developed into a legend of mythical proportions...” In 1964, a tongue-in-cheek student research project designed to “prove” that the number 47 appears more often in nature than other random numbers turned into a wholesale 47 hunt that has continued to this day. Since then, Sagehens have discovered this quintessential random number in the most unexpected places:

Pomona College is located at Exit 47 of the San Bernardino Freeway; the pipe organ in the Thatcher Music Building has 47 pipes visible in its top row; and in the film, Towering Inferno, actor Richard Chamberlain ’56 was the 47th person in line to be saved. On a more historic scale, the Declaration of Independence has 47 sentences and the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn are 47 degrees apart.

See how it works? Next time you encounter a 47 on a road sign or in a textbook, you’ll notice—and probably think of Pomona. Alumni have not only found their magic number all over the world; they’ve planted it in popular movies and TV shows for others to find."

What's interesting is that this info is not mentioned on Memory-Alpha.

Anyway, I thought this would be fun enough to put on the Deck-One board.  Enjoy!

Offline LadyNightstalker

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of the Borg - Pomona College??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:56:06 AM »
That is very interesting. I guess I am a little dense since I have never noticed the 47 references.
I always wondered why blessings wore disguises. If I were a blessing, I’d run around naked!

Offline michaelwiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:26:07 AM »
You are certainly not dense!  I sure didn't know about this before I posted, so consider yourself .... enlightened instead!

Offline ZetaTauri

• Public (Arcade) Enemy #1
  • The Goddess & the Guy
  • Q
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:00:49 AM »
Pomona College?  Wow.  I suppose we in the viewing audience should be thankful that the Borg catchphrase wasn't, "You will be like totally assimilated, dude!"   :winks:

Thanks for posting.  Who says you can't learn something new every day.
- Frank
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."
~ L. Ron Hubbard

Offline michaelwiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:46 AM »
I suppose we in the viewing audience should be thankful that the Borg catchphrase wasn't, "You will be like totally assimilated, dude!"   :winks:

... or have the Borg ship be a surf board with a solar sail!  Ugh!!

Offline LeahBrahms

• Administrator
  • The Goddess & the Guy
  • Ruler Of The Galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
I suppose we in the viewing audience should be thankful that the Borg catchphrase wasn't, "You will be like totally assimilated, dude!"   :winks:

... or have the Borg ship be a surf board with a solar sail!  Ugh!!

:67:  :D :D :D

The problem with references to American Colleges sort of bypass the other Nations
"So *you're* the one who's been
fouling up my engine designs."

Leah Brahms

Offline michaelwiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
To be fair, I didn't know of the existence of Pomona until I heard the radio program.  So you're not alone.